Independent Living in Birmingham

Welcome to Compass Independent Living in The Birmingham Framework

Compass Independent Living is part of Compass Disability Services, a customer-led organisation providing services across several counties that aims to empower disabled people and carers to be independent and have choice and control in how they have their care or support needs met.

What we do:
As part of the Birmingham Framework, we provide support and advice to people who have a Direct Payment or personal health budget; this includes a Payroll and Managed Account service.

Direct Payment Support Service:
We can provide you with information and support on managing your Direct Payment. We do this by:

  • Supporting you to understand the care package that has been agreed to meet your or your child’s assessed needs and how best to use the Direct Payment in meeting that need. For example providing advice and support on what it can and can’t be used for.
  • Advise and provide assistance on the recruitment and selection of Personal Assistants, e.g. drawing up job descriptions, advertising, interviewing and selection, DBS checking and seeking references, producing contracts of employment and responsibilities of being an employer.

If you are in receipt of a Direct Payment from Birmingham Children's Trust, it is now a mandatory requirement that all new employees must have a DBS check completed before starting employment. If you are employing a new employee, please contact us so that we can arrange for a DBS check to be completed.

For users of our Payroll service we provide the following:

  • Advise on how to set employees up on Payroll
    A payroll run on a four weekly or monthly basis
    Hours can be notified to us each time either by phone or email
    Automatically produced payslips if your personal assistants always work the same hours
    A summary of the payments you need to make to the HMRC
    Clear instructions on what forms you need from new employees
    Preparation of P45s when employees leave
    Completion of end of year returns
    Online submission of end of year returns to the tax office
    Advice on payroll related issues, such as holiday pay.
  • Pensions

Managed Account Service:
The Managed Account service is for people who are unable to open a separate bank account or who may need additional support managing their Direct Payment. We do not make decisions on how your money is spent but follow your instructions.

We can (with agreement from the Council) - receive and hold funds on your behalf.

We will arrange to - pay all the agreed outgoings for your support/care from the money we hold on your behalf.

You will - retain full responsibility for the money and direct how the monies are spent.

Please see our information sheets for further guidance on Direct Payments.

Please click here for some documents and information you may find useful

Am I eligible?

Direct Payment Support and Payroll Service - you are eligible if you have been assessed by the Social Care team and have opted for a Direct Payment as a way of meeting your support needs.

  • If you have not had an assessment and think you may be eligible for an assessment then please contact Birmingham City Council
  • If you fund the care or support out of your own finances then you could use our services.

Managed Account Service - you cannot automatically have a Managed Account but if you feel that this would help you manage your Direct Payment then please contact us or your social worker.

How to contact us

Our offices are open from 9 am until 5pm Monday to Friday.

Telephone: 01823 255905

Fax: 01823 351790


Online contact form: at

Post: Unit 11-12 Belvedere Trading Estate, Taunton, TA1 1BH

Response times
We are asked by Birmingham Council to respond within two working days; however we aim to respond sooner.

Out of hours
Emergency duty team at Birmingham Council – the out of hours contact team for your area is Birmingham Council - 01216 754806

Please note they are only able to deal with emergencies relating to your care package or Direct Payment.

Useful Links:

Birmingham County Council - 0121 303 1234