These information sheets have been provided as a guide only and should not be used as substitutes for specialist advice. We try to keep them updated, however, this cannot always be guaranteed.

It is essential to ensure that you are adequately insured if you are employing staff.

Employer and Public Liability Insurance.

This is the main type of insurance you need. It will cover you if:

Your personal assistant is injured.

The personal assistant causes injury to another person or their property whilst undertaking a task for you, inside or outside your home.

Other Insurance:

You should consider the tasks your personal assistant will be undertaking and consider whether other insurance you hold will be affected e.g.

Your home buildings and contents insurance,

Your car insurance if your personal assistant may be driving your car.

Your personal assistant's car insurance if they are using their car to transport you or to do things for you.

It is advisable to write to the Insurance Company and/or insurance broker to clarify anything you are unsure of. Your Independent Living Advisor may be able to offer advice.