Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks (previously CRB checks)

These information sheets have been provided as a guide only and should not be used as substitutes for specialist advice. We try to keep them updated, however, this cannot always be guaranteed.

"The role of the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) is to reduce the risk of abuse by ensuring that those who are unsuitable are not able to work with children and vulnerable adults” (The Home Secretary)

A DBS will say whether there is anything on file which you should consider before allowing that person to work with children or vulnerable adults. There are three types of disclosure: Standard, Enhanced and Enhanced with list checks

If you are in receipt of a Personal Health Budget in Somerset, then a DBS must be carried out, for anyone you intend to employ.

If you are in receipt of a Direct Payment from Birmingham Children's Trust, it is now a mandatory requirement that all new employees must have a DBS check completed before starting employment.

How do I get a DBS for my Personal Assistant?

If you want a DBS on an employee or prospective employee, speak to your Independent Living Advisor who will get you the necessary forms. Your Personal Assistant will then need to complete the form and provide evidence of identity, which will be checked by your Independent Living Advisor.

It is important to remember that a DBS only tells you if anything is on the above files. It is not a guarantee that the person is suitable and safe for the post. You should still follow a full recruitment procedure, including interview and references.